Wednesday 13 November 2013

Mumsnet Brixton

I think it's universally acknowledged that parenthood can be a little isolating at times, especially in those early days and particularly if you have moved to a new area away from family and friends. I know that this was true for me; a young baby, the upheaval of moving away from the support network I had AND a boyfriend who works long hours meant that I felt lonely about 80% of the time.

Starved of adult interaction and other parents who just 'got it' (and after a hugely unsuccessful trip to the Ritzy's Big Scream), I took myself off to Mumsnet where I had a stroke of luck - the only local group that was currently active? You got it, Brixton. I remember breathing a sigh of relief and feeling so thankful that there were people who were local and wanted something similar.

After a little hesitation I signed myself up and Marie - the Ambassador for the lovely Brixton lot - welcomed me warmly to the group. Since then I don't think I've made one official Mumsnet meet up - timing as opposed to not wanting to - but I have met up with Marie briefly (on a street corner to hand over cake - don't ask) and she was a wonderfully genuine person who I felt I could arrange to go for a coffee with any time. Now we are in touch regularly about how we are getting our with our respective babies and it's so good to know that someone is just there (for me anyway!).

When I spoke with Marie about the Mumsnet group, she explained why she put herself forward as the group ambassador and it turns out that she was feeling isolated too. With a friend from her antenatal group and another she'd met through Netmums, she started posting meet up dates and slowly but surely, more people joined the group. Now, meet ups are arranged every other week at baby-friendly cafes for people to get together with or without their babies - this for me was a huge weight lifted off my shoulders as Baby A goes off on adventures a couple of times a week.

So, if you are feeling a little lost and in need of some adult interaction or moral support - or if you just fancy meeting some new people - then go ahead and sign up to the group here - there will always be someone there and I believe there is a meet up arranged for tomorrow morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment